Loaned School Property – Covered or Not?

Band Instruments, Laptops & Tablets, Trade Tools and other items may come home in your students’ hands, backpacks and cars. You and your students may be responsible for damage or destruction of such school property. Generally, your homeowner provides some coverage for “Property of Others,” depending on the circumstances surrounding the loss.  The broadest method to cover such property is an a Personal Articles Floater. After speaking with your students’ instructors regarding such responsibility while school property is in their “CARE CUSTODY & CONTROL” feel free to give me a call/email to discuss your insurance options.  (My contact info is at the top of the screen.)

Below is an excellent blog post by a great underwriter on the topic:

Make sure loaned school items are covered – The Cincinnati Insurance Companies blog


Posts on are written in plain language for informational purposes only. They are not policy forms or parts of an insurance policy. For exact language, see the insurance policy provided by your carrier.

About Author

Cameron A. Shandersky, CPCU
Cameron's Bio