Water……a strange animal


Water losses can be some of the most frustrating types of claims.  In the insurance industry, there are 3 types of water losses: Water Damage, Water Back-up and Flood.

  • Water Damage – damage caused by a faulty or malfunctioning part of the dwelling or structure. Examples include leaking roof, deteriorated pipes, malfunctioning appliances or clogged toilets & interior plumbing. Water Damage claims typically enjoy the policy limit of coverage for the building and contents.
  • Water Back-up – damage caused by inability of water to flow properly into a sewer, septic or other drainage system.  The cause of such claims can be on or off premises, including a blockage in the drain, tree roots getting into the sewer pipe, or older sewer systems being unable to handle a sudden summer storm. (The Cincinnati Ins. Co. Homeowner, Condo & Tenant’s WBU coverage also includes Hydro-static Water Pressure* and Sump Pump failure.) Water back-up claims typically have a “sub-limit” of $5,000, $10,000 or other amount that is less than the full policy limit for the building and contents.
  • Flood – damage cause by water upon the surface of the ground. The cause of such claims can be natural or man-made. These claims are NOT covered by the Homeowner, Condo or Tenant’s policies. Typically, one must purchase such coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program. If purchasing a home in Flood Zone A, your mortgage company will require you to purchase such a policy.

*Short video about Hydro-static Water Pressure:

What is hydrostatic water pressure? from The Cincinnati Insurance Company on Vimeo.

Posts on imwithcameron.com are written in plain language for informational purposes only. They are not policy forms or parts of an insurance policy. For exact language, see the insurance policy provided by your carrier.

About Author

Cameron A. Shandersky, CPCU
Cameron's Bio